[XeTeX] Alternate Ξ glyphs in GFS Neohellenic

Arthur Reutenauer arthur.reutenauer at normalesup.org
Tue Sep 1 18:19:09 CEST 2015

On Tue, Sep 01, 2015 at 02:56:22PM +0200, BPJ wrote:
> according to the type specimen[1] there are three different Ξ glyphs in the OTF version of the font GFS Neohellenic[2] but I can only access two of them -- of course not the one I want at this time, the one without vertical or diagonals!  Peeking inside the font with FontForge hasn't made me any wiser.  Does anyone know how to access them all?

  For some strange reason the glyph you want is not accessible through
OpenType features, as a look into the GSUB table confirms, but is
included as a separate character from the Private Use Area (U+E004);
that's why copy-pasting from the PDF file works for this particular
glyphs, as Phil showed; but it's obviously a bad idea to do so because
you would need to input all Ξ as this PUA character, and then your PDF
files won't be searchable.

  I have no idea why the authors of the font did it like that, but I
consider this a bug -- as it stands now, the font only has two different
glyphs for Ξ, as Apostolos observed, and a pseudo-character that's
graphically a Ξ, but not in the right place.  I dare not think that the
creators of the font *wanted* you to use the zigzagging glyph, or maybe
the one with the vertical bar, instead of the more standard one with
just three horizontal bars, but it's certainly tempting!

	Best,

		Arthur