[XeTeX] Discretionary hyphens don't work in paragraphed footnotes

David Carlisle d.p.carlisle at gmail.com
Thu Oct 8 20:12:08 CEST 2015

On 8 October 2015 at 17:53, Dominik Wujastyk <wujastyk at gmail.com> wrote:
> The original questioner said he was doing a critical edition.  If he's using
> EDMAC or LEDMAC then perhaps I can note that EDMAC does some work to avoid
> setting footnote text in "restricted horizontal mode".  Restricted
> horizontal mode does a number of annoying things to text, including (I
> think) things affecting hyphenation; Plain TeX goes to some lengths to set
> footnotes in unrestricted mode.  But LaTeX doesn't bother with these
> niceties.  However, EDMAC does.
>
> Best,
> Dominik
>
> The attached fnfix.sty file fixes LaTeX footnotes so that they're set in
> unrestricted horizontal mode.

??? both standard latex footnotes and the paragraphed footnotes used
from footmisc in the original question use unrestricted horizontal
mode, if you set them in an hbox (restricted hmode) they wouldn't work
at all if longer than a line.

The code posted allows catcode changes

%   LaTeX style to redefine the \footnote command such that it allows the
%   altering of catcodes.
%   From: Joerg-Martin Schwarz <@MVS.GSI.DE:UPH508 at DDOHRZ11.BITNET>
%   August 1992

but that's unrelated (and by design not included in standard latex footnotes)

David