[XeTeX] Discretionary hyphens don't work in paragraphed footnotes

Bruno Le Floch blflatex at gmail.com
Thu Oct 8 17:29:37 CEST 2015

Here's a shorter example which hyphenates with cmr12 (in pdfTeX/XeTeX)
but not with the font copied from David's example: hyphenation is lost
when closing the hbox, as can be seen by adding the appropriate
\tracingonline=1\showboxbreadth=99 and \showlists just before the
closing brace.

I have no idea why hyphenation is lost, though.  As far as I can tell,
in David's example hyphenation is lost once the text is broken into
line a first time when put into a \vbox, while with cmr12 hyphenation
is kept through further unboxings.

--

\ifx\XeTeXversion\undefined
\font\x=cmr12

\x

\setbox0\hbox{XXXXXXXXXXXXX just a few normal words to fill up the line
  up to my x x x zzzzzz\-zzzzz}

\unhbox0

\bye