[XeTeX] [tex-live] -dAutoRotatePages=/None in the distiller_template

Zdenek Wagner zdenek.wagner at gmail.com
Tue Nov 10 11:36:09 CET 2015

Hi all,

if I remember everything well, /Rotate is a PDF operator that rotates a
page. /AutoRotatePages is a distiller operator. Its value is used when
converting PS to PDF. The idea behind it is that a portrait document may
contain a few landscape pages with tables and/or figures. If rotating is
enabled. the distiller examines the prevailing direction of the text
(typically the caption) and inserts /Rotate. In Acrobat Distiller it is
enabled in the settings for "preview" so that the page appears in its
natural orientation on a screen. The values of MediaBox, BleedBox, and
TrimBox remain unchanged, they still reflect the physical orientation no
matter what the preview mode is. It is disabled for "prepress" because the
physical medium does not rotate. I am not sure about the "print" mode but
it is possible that printer drivers are clever enough to ignore /Rotate
when printing the document. And now there is a question: the author of a
PDF document intended a physical orientation which differs from the
orientation intended for a screen preview. If such a PDF is included into
another PDF, which one should be used, the physical one or the one intended
for screen preview?

When making a PDF intended for inclusion I always prepare it in such a way
that its natural orientation is the same as the physical orientation, I do
not use /Rotate.

Zdeněk Wagner
http://icebearsoft.euweb.cz