[XeTeX] [tex-live] -dAutoRotatePages=/None in the distiller_template

Reinhard Kotucha reinhard.kotucha at web.de
Fri Nov 6 23:13:09 CET 2015

On 2015-11-05 at 05:46:41 +0000, Philip Taylor wrote:

 > Hironobu-san :
 >
 > > Philip's problem is pdf inclusion. Current (x)dvipdfmx does not
 > > support /Rotate at all, so inclusion of pdf with /Rotate command
 > > fails.  Yes, Adobe Acrobat (and Preview.app in OS X) adds /Rotate
 > > command in PDF rotation, so these PDFs are out-of-support by
 > > (x)dvipdfmx.
 >
 > Thank you.  (Sort of) understood, but I am now unclear how, if
 > (x)dvipdfmx does not support /Rotate, XeTeX is nonetheless able to
 > communicate to xdvipdfmx that a figure included using \XeTeXpdffile
 > with a non-zero value for the "rotated" keyword is to be rotated.

Dear Phil,
it's important to know that keywords in PostScript are case
sensitive.  The name of the procedure you need in order to rotate
figures is /rotate (lower case).  This is supported by any PostScript
interpreter.

Auto-rotation is something completely different and certainly not what
you want.  It's needed in order to optimize paper consumption with
ISO-A0 printers which are using endless paper.  If two pages don't fit
side-by-side, either one of them or both will be rotated if necessary.

Auto-rotation should be disabled when PDF files are created.  It can
lead to unexpected results if Ghostscript is involved.

Regards,
  Reinhard

Marschnerstr. 25
D-30167 Hannover                    mailto:reinhard.kotucha at web.de