[XeTeX] Assignment of codes (particularly \catcode) based on Unicode data

Philip Taylor P.Taylor at Rhul.Ac.Uk
Wed May 6 17:29:42 CEST 2015

Apostolos Syropoulos wrote:

> the uppercase of 'GREEK SMALL LETTER EPSILON WITH PSILI'
> is 'GREEK LETTER EPSILON' and not 'GREEK LETTER EPSILON WITH PSILI.
>
> Some time ago I reported this to the Unicode people and they told me
>
> something like "we cannot change it now" (I do not remember the exact
>
> wording but the essence remains the same.) Naturally, all \lccodes and
> \uccodes for Greek letters are wrong and I suspect many more are wrong.

Nasty.  In that case I would propose a user-selectable option :

	\Unicodecompliance

with possible values

	"strict" (as per current Unicode standard)

and

	"loose" (as advised by consensus of native speakers)

One might need to factor this out by language, as in :

		\Unicodecompliance {Greek} {strict}
		\Unicodecompliance {Greek} {loose}

or perhaps

	\Unicodecompliance (Greek=loose, Turkish=strict, ...)

Philip Taylor