[XeTeX] fonts and diacritics

Zdenek Wagner zdenek.wagner at gmail.com
Sat Jun 13 16:10:09 CEST 2015

> Why don't you use UTF-8? In that way the content of your document is
> better searchable and exchangeable.

Searchability has nothing to do with input. I can input \v{c}  and the
generated PDF will contain č. There are cases where macros are needed.
If I need dot below as an accent, I have to type \d{d} because I do
not have it on my keyboard and do not know how to add the dotbelow
accent to the XKB map.

> For intuitively entering characters with diacritics in UTF-8, have a
> look at https://www.createspace.com/3758226 Despite the title the
> content is still valid. At the time of publication it was even further
> than compose key bindings that were shipped with operating systems.
>
> To be able to show as many as possible characters with diacritics, I
> used https://www.gnu.org/software/freefont/ Even some characters were
> specially added upon my request for the creation of the book. Probably
> all characters you need are already supported.
>
> I am using the upstream version of these fonts to have as many
> characters as possible. For that I use a script with the following commands:
>

> TL=/usr/local/texlive/2014/texmf-dist/fonts
> rm -rf $TL/truetype/public/gnu-freefont
> if [ ! -e freefont ]
> then
>     svn co svn://svn.savannah.gnu.org/freefont/trunk/freefont
> fi
> cd freefont
> svn update
> cd sfd
> make otf
> cp -f *otf $TL/opentype/public/gnu-freefont/

And do not forget to uninstall the version from TeX Live, if you have
two versions, you may get into serious problems.

> Regards,
>
> Pander
>
>> Jürgen
>>
>> ---