[XeTeX] fonts and diacritics

Robert Zydenbos xetex at zydenbos.net
Wed Jul 1 16:13:29 CEST 2015

I have experimented with a number of fonts in XeTeX for Indological use, with mixed results. If one wants to have a pleasant and clear distance between the letters and the diacritics, *and* also a correct positioning of the diacritics, *and* also the possibility to use italics and bold type (and both combined) by means of simple \textbf, \emph etc., without going into TeXy things (like declaring typefaces with "slant=...", "extended=..." etc.), my personal favourite is Charis SIL. But also the Linux Libertine fonts are good, as are FreeSerif / FreeSans / FreeMono, and the Liberation series of fonts. Also most of the TeXGyre fonts are quite usable.

Not every one in the Gentium family of fonts (also SIL) supports bold and bold slanted, but they too can be recommended. SIL (www.sil.org) also has a very nice Nagari font named Annapurna, which has become my favourite for that script.

Robert Zydenbos

--
Prof. Dr. Robert J. Zydenbos
Institut für Indologie und Tibetologie