[XeTeX] fontspec and scaling

Mike Maxwell maxwell at umiacs.umd.edu
Sat Jan 17 20:39:37 CET 2015

On 1/17/2015 9:08 AM, Zdenek Wagner wrote:
> Fontspec does not do any magic. It just provides human friendly
> interface to the raw commands. It is somewhere in between the raw
> commands and GUI selection. It cannot in principle emulate optical
> sizes but it has properties for selecting them if they are available
> in the font.

Thanks for the response.  I guess my question is: _If_ a font provides optical
sizes, then presumably telling Fontspec which point size to use causes it to
choose the optical size provided in the font (assuming one exists for the
requested point size).  If this is correct, then to re-phrase my original
question: If instead of specifying a point size for a particular font/stretch of
text, I tell Fontspec to use scaling, then does it choose the closest optical
point size provided in the font (and maybe magnify/demagnify it slightly if the
scaling doesn't result in an exact optical point size)?  Or does Fontspec
instead magnify/demagnify the glyphs from the document's default point size?
--
	Mike Maxwell
	maxwell at umiacs.umd.edu
	"My definition of an interesting universe is
	one that has the capacity to study itself."
         --Stephen Eastmond