[XeTeX] not enough \XeTeXcharclass registers

Mike "Pomax" Kamermans pomax at nihongoresources.com
Mon Dec 14 20:12:29 CET 2015

It's certainly possible to limit the number of default transitions, but
with the ever increasing expanse that is Unicode, while it might seem
unrealistic, really it's more a matter of time until someone actually
needs more classes than are currently available

There is an obvious optimization as per Jonathan's suggestion to
collapse multiple blocks to scripts instead, to bring down the number of
required classes used in the package, but also remember that
ucharclasses is just one package; if someone uses additional packages
that rely on allocating classes to achieve some goal, then having only
255 (sans xetex-reserved classes) may become not enough much faster than
if it's only used for the transition triggers that ucharclasses offers.

- Pomax