[XeTeX] Strange issue with tanwin, arabxetex

FC firmicus04 at gmail.com
Sat Aug 1 00:30:49 CEST 2015

Dear Nathan,

After compiling your example on TL 2014 and TL 2015 with the Scheherazade
font, I saw absolutely *no* difference between them, which is what should
be expected. Then I immediately realized why you're having this problem. In
your example, you define \A as \textarabic. But since the package option is
*novoc*, it is assumed to contain legacy ArabTeX ASCII notation, not
UTF-8.  The ArabXeTeX documentation says that to input direct UTF-8 you
need to use the option *utf*. So if you use explicitly \textarab[*utf*]{خطًا}
instead your tanwin will not disappear. In the novoc mode there is indeed a
mapping rule which explicitly strips off all vowels (even from UTF-8 input).

Regards,
François Charette