[XeTeX] Kannada TeX package

Zdenek Wagner zdenek.wagner at gmail.com
Mon Apr 27 13:32:00 CEST 2015

Dear Shivashankar,

I do not know Kannada, I even do not know other scripts, I know only
Devanagari and I think that the problems will be similar. Hyphenation in
Unicode aware engines is quite simple, if you have the patterns. TeX
hyphenates words and a word is defined as a sequence of characters with
\catcode=11 and nonzero \lccode. The sequence most not contain TeX
primitives, explicite \kern etc. If you have a Unicode aware engine, all
you have to do is to set \catcode, \lccode, \uccode, and insert the
patterns for iniTeX. 8-bit engines do not allow it When placing matras or
probably also conjuncts you have to use primitives that must not be inside
a word, hyphenation hence cannot be used. However, babel requires
specification of a hyphenation file. It is possible to specify zerohyph
which means "no hyphenation". Hindi contains mostly short words and
hyphenatin is not needed but for Sanskrit it may be important. The Velthuis
package solves it in a simple way. The feasible breakpoints can be found
algorithmically, so the preprocessor puts \- to all such places. As default
\- is not output, you have to switch this feature on.

Hope this helps.

Zdeněk Wagner
http://hroch486.icpf.cas.cz/wagner/
http://icebearsoft.euweb.cz