[XeTeX] XeTeX maintenance

Zdenek Wagner zdenek.wagner at gmail.com
Mon Apr 27 13:13:57 CEST 2015

Hi all,

if you use <para indentation="none" looseness="1">Something...</para> you
are not using XML properly. The purpose of XML is to describe the structure
of a document, not its appearance. Generally you will print the information
from the XML file in a different order or you will print just a part of it.
As the second step you will run XSLT in order to extract the elements that
have to be printed and finally XSL-FO in order to format the output. Of
course you can combine these two steps into a single one and you can use
other formatting engines instead of XSL-FO. On the contrary, the TeX
primitives do not describe the document structure but ist appearance. LaTeX
offers a kind of structural markup, eg \chapter, \section etc. Plain TeX
users are supposed to invent such a markup themselves fr each docunebt or
they can use OPmac developed by Petr Olšák.

XML may, of course, be used almost for everything. It helped me much when
typesetting a book with pictures that have fixed places and the text is
floating. It is described here:
http://icebearsoft.euweb.cz/bharat.php

I gave a lecture on this topic but only in Czech so the slides might be
useless for you but you can look at the sources and XSLT stylesheets. I use
a commercial font that cannot be distributed so uless you have it, you will
not be able to compile the source, at least you will have to redefine the
font.

As I wrote, XML defines the document structure. When creating my web pages,
I have all language variants in one XML file and XSLT builds 1 HTML file
per language. For instance, this page is avaiable in three languages:
http://icebearsoft.euweb.cz/ArunakashKaRasta/

The tools for creating the language versions are described here:
http://icebearsoft.euweb.cz/webmake.php

I have other applications of XML + TeX but if they are published,
informatin is (unfortunatelly) only in Czech.

Zdeněk Wagner
http://hroch486.icpf.cas.cz/wagner/
http://icebearsoft.euweb.cz