[XeTeX] Placement of tanwin for indefinite accusatives in Arabic, arabxetex

Nathan Camillo Sidoli sidoli at waseda.jp
Fri Apr 24 11:11:40 CEST 2015

I have a question about the placement of tanwin for indefinite
accusatives in arabxetex. (And a related question for Amiri font.)

My understanding in that the preferred style in Arabic is that the
tanwin should be placed over the final consonant, even if there is a
final alif.

This was the default in the original ArabTeX, and could be turned off
with \newtanwin.

Here is a minimal example (minimal_tanwin.pdf):

\documentclass{article}
\usepackage{arabtex}
\vocalize

\begin{document}

\<_h.taN> $\quad$ \<m_tl_taN>

\end{document}

But with arabxetex this seems not to be the default, and instead I get
the tanwin above the final alif, as is done in Persian.

Here is an example (minimal_tanwin_xelatex.tex), which also shows how
the placement can be done manually with unicode:

\documentclass{article}

\usepackage[novoc,fdf2noalif]{arabxetex}
\newfontfamily\arabicfont[Script=Arabic,Scale=1.4]{Amiri}
\newcommand{\A}{\textarabic}

\begin{document}

\A{_h.t"aN} $\quad$ \A{m_tl_t"aN}

\bigskip

\A{خطًا}  $\quad$ \A{مثلثًا}

\end{document}

How can I get the correct Arabic behavior with arabxetex? Also, why is
the tanwin placed so high when I use unicode and Amiri? Is there a way I
can pull it down closer to the consonant?