[XeTeX] additional beginL endL nodes in math

David Carlisle d.p.carlisle at gmail.com
Wed Apr 15 22:39:05 CEST 2015

On 15 April 2015 at 21:18, Khaled Hosny <khaledhosny at eglug.org> wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 15, 2015 at 09:07:05PM +0100, David Carlisle wrote:
>> Let me go and read some of those issues, thanks for the pointer,
>
> Just in case it is not clear why reviving the long dead TeX-XeT is a fix
> here; TeX-XeT does not do any actual reversal but rather outputs special
> opcodes in the DVI file and the DVI driver does the actual reversal, now
> in the driver we do not “physically” reverse the order of the nodes but
> instead change their X positions so that they are visually reversed. It
> is possible to do the X manipulation in TeX, Omega does that, but not
> for a mere mortal like me (and it does not help that the TeX code is
> complex, interwoven and written in an archaic language I only
> superficially understand), it was much easier to do it in the driver.
>
> Regards,
> Khaled

Yes understood. So it seems that an ideal situation would be to change
the  tex--xet
code to not so aggressively reorder nodes. But the number of people
who could do that is limited
(and doesn't include me) and it's not likely to get implemented/tested
in the TL2015 timeframe

So given that.  I can understand your call to revert to tex--xet. I
think the extra nodes in math
will affect some people (and certainly causes a non trivial amount of
extra work on the latex test suite)
but as I'm not in a position to offer a better plan I'm not going to
complain too much, I've raised the issue
and it's been considered,

David