[XeTeX] additional beginL endL nodes in math

Khaled Hosny khaledhosny at eglug.org
Wed Apr 15 21:05:18 CEST 2015

On Wed, Apr 15, 2015 at 04:29:47PM +0100, David Carlisle wrote:
> Is there no other way that the issues you have could be addressed
> without introducing TeX-XeT?

I first reported this issue in 2008, 7 years ago, so it seems it is not
going to go way magically, much to my surprise. Peter Breitenlohner
became aware of this issue 2 years ago and a fix were promised but
nothing so far (not that I blame him).

> The more we look at this the more it seems a very unfortunate step,
> introducing several incompatibilities
> with pdftex and luatex.

That is unfortunate.

> Especially if there is a possibility of moving in the end to an
> Omega/luatex model for bidirectional support
> introducing a change at this point seems a strange choice.

AFAICS, a port from Omega model is unlikely to happen, it is a big
invasive change and is as untested as the TeX-XeT model and has its own
share of problems, and, more importantly, no one seems to be stepping up
to do the required work.

> The extra nodes added here really are a backward step, my first
> suggestion of only conditionally
> adding them doesn't really work if boxes containing math are saved and
> used in different contexts.

I fail to see that catastrophe this is causing.

> Especially now in the Texlive 2015 pretest period there is so little
> time to test any
> changes.
>
> Would it be possible to back it out this change at least until after
> TL2015 is released
> That would give time to investigate a more compatible way to address the issues?

This was backed out for 2014 release, if I’m going to back it out for
each release why bother with it at all?

Regards,
Khaled