[XeTeX] Is the colorshadow special yet supported?

Marcel Korpel marcel.lists at gmail.com
Wed Apr 15 02:35:48 CEST 2015

Hi all,

I want to create a text shadow effect in (plain) XeTeX and found

\special{x:colorshadow…}

I also found a document containing that special[1]:

\special{x:colorshadow(2,-2),0.8,00006666}

When looking at the preview image, one can clearly see the TeX lion with a
shadow[2]. However, when looking at the resulting PDF, I don't see this
shadow (I tried different PDF readers, most poppler-based viewers have
difficulties displaying all elements, but not Adobe Reader)[3]. Also, when
inserting the special in my document and xetex'ing it, shadows don't
appear. The used system is TeX Live, built from SVN sources, on Arch Linux.
I tried PDF.js built in Firefox 37.0.1, Evince 3.16.0 and Adobe Reader
9.5.5 on Linux and 11.0.10 on Windows.

I can find one discussion about these specials from 2007[4], so my
questions are:

1. Is \special{x:colorshadow…} still not supported in TeXLive?
2. If it is, what is the correct syntax? What do those numbers mean?

Thank you in advance.

Best wishes,
Marcel

[1] https://www.tug.org/xetexshowcase/xetex-wuhan.tex