[XeTeX] rendering of U+0903

Manfred Lotz manfred.lotz at arcor.de
Tue Apr 14 15:37:47 CEST 2015

On Tue, 14 Apr 2015 14:59:03 +0200
Zdenek Wagner <zdenek.wagner at gmail.com>
wrote:

> The problem is that AFAIK the Indic scripts are not yet implemented in
> luatex.

This could be. I usually use XeLaTeX for Sanskrit stuff, and in this
case I wanted to take a look how this looks like when using lualatex.

> The dotted ring is not a part of the glyph. the Unicode shaper
> (HarfBuzz in XeTeX) knows that visarga is a dependent vowel (matra)
> and since a consonant is missing, it takes the dotted ring from the
> font (it should exist as a glyph per Microsoft's recommendation).

I don't like the dotted ring but anyway.

> Luatex knows nothing about rendering Indic script. So the compete
> answer is: implement an equivalent of HarfBuzz in Lua, you will then
> get consistent result. Without it using Devanagari in luatex is
> impossible.
>
> I have quite a lot of texts in Hindi, if you develop such a shaper in
> lua, I can offer testing.

I need visarga (and anusvara) independently as I create an A2 poster of
the Sanskrit alphabet as can be seen here:
http://comedy.dante.de/~manfred/sanskrit_alphabet_A2.pdf

--
Thanks, Manfred