[XeTeX] rendering of U+0903

Zdenek Wagner zdenek.wagner at gmail.com
Tue Apr 14 14:59:03 CEST 2015

The problem is that AFAIK the Indic scripts are not yet implemented in
luatex. The dotted ring is not a part of the glyph. the Unicode shaper
(HarfBuzz in XeTeX) knows that visarga is a dependent vowel (matra) and
since a consonant is missing, it takes the dotted ring from the font (it
should exist as a glyph per Microsoft's recommendation). Luatex knows
nothing about rendering Indic script. So the compete answer is: implement
an equivalent of HarfBuzz in Lua, you will then get consistent result.
Without it using Devanagari in luatex is impossible.

I have quite a lot of texts in Hindi, if you develop such a shaper in lua,
I can offer testing.

Zdeněk Wagner
http://hroch486.icpf.cas.cz/wagner/
http://icebearsoft.euweb.cz