[XeTeX] [arXiv #128410] Re: XeLaTeX generated pdf metadata

Dominik Wujastyk wujastyk at gmail.com
Tue Sep 23 09:18:04 CEST 2014

I have had similar problems with PubMedCentral.  While I was a Wellcome
Trust Senior Research Fellow, I was contractually obliged to submit all my
publications to PMC.  But in every case it took over a year for my work to
appear, and involved a huge wrangle about XML, XeTeX, and conversion.

PMC uses tools to convert the author's PDF into XML.  Then they generate a
new PDF from their XML.  They publish their own XML and their own PDF.

I get it that they want XML.  But their conversion pipeline is not good for
complex work, especially if it includes Unicode characters.  Their
re-generated PDFs were a complete mess and my articles were quite literally
unreadable.  (And the page numbers were all changed, making reference
ambiguous.)  Admittedly, my articles use Sanskrit in Unicode and complex
layout formatting.  That's why I use XeTeX, of course.

For an example, see especially pp.211 onwards of my article here:

   - http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2772122/

In the end, PMC agreed that their tech could not handle my writings, so
they published my PDF and no XML.

It sounds as if arXiv is facing similar difficulties.  The best way forward
for arXiv and PMC is to identify authors who are knowledgeable about
advanced document processing (i.e., the members of this list!), and talk to
them in a cooperative spirit about complex documents, metadata, and
conversion issues.  This would be better than treating such authors as
"difficulties."

Best,

Dominik