[XeTeX] problem xelatex+tikz

Zdenek Wagner zdenek.wagner at gmail.com
Fri Sep 12 11:29:52 CEST 2014

> Hi Francois,
>
> On 12/09/2014, at 7:39 AM, François Patte wrote:
>
>> I wanted to get rid of these "one inch" to provide the publisher a
>> "camera ready" file and the way I did was an easy way to give a
>> centered text with the text width and height given by the publisher...

You can easily achieve it by geometry or by zwpagelayout. I should try
it with zwpagelayout with cropmarks enabled because in this case I
change \hoffset and \voffset...

> Then the way to do this in TeX is *not* with a single TeX run.
> Typeset your book using LaTeX, using the publisher supplied dimensions
> for the page content.
>
> The run a 2nd (La)TeX job that simply includes the pages of your
> typeset book, as if images.
> The  pdfpages.sty  package is very good for this.
> You lose annotations this way; but it is for printing, isn't it?

Or you can do your own \loop and use just graphicx.sty

>> When I have done this, it was the first edition of the latex companion
>> and in the second edition, the offset commands are still there!

These are basic TeX registers, they were always here, will remain for
ever. They are documented in The TeXbook but not in books on LaTeX.
LaTeX honours them but packages may assume zero values when
calculating distance from the (1in, 1in) reference point using
\topmargin, \oddsidemargin, \evensidemargin.

Of course, well designed packages should take \hoffset and \voffset
into account but users should use LaTeX in the LaTeX way, they should
not combine LaTeX and plain TeX methods without knowing what they do
and what may happen.

>> - --
>> François Patte
>

> Hope this helps,
>
>         Ross

> Ross Moore                                       ross.moore at mq.edu.au
> Mathematics Department                           office: E7A-206
> Macquarie University                             tel: +61 (0)2 9850 8955
> Sydney, Australia  2109                          fax: +61 (0)2 9850 8114

Zdeněk Wagner
http://hroch486.icpf.cas.cz/wagner/
http://icebearsoft.euweb.cz