[XeTeX] font license

maxwell maxwell at umiacs.umd.edu
Wed Sep 3 23:18:49 CEST 2014

On 2014-09-03 16:46, Lorna Evans wrote:
> It came from the Nikosh.ttf file. I have Microsoft Font Properties
> Extension installed and with that installed I can right click on a
> .ttf and select "Properties" and it gives me a whole range of tabs
> full of info that were not available without the extension. I don't
> know how you would find this info on other Operating Systems.

Ah, thanks.  I don't have that extension (yet), but I did check the
properties of the Nikosh.ttf font using Windows File Manager (copied
over from our Linux system, so I know it's the same font file), and it
says "Font embeddability: Installable", which is the least restrictive
of the options.

So it sounds like xdvipdfmx should embed it without problem.  But when I
run
    xdvipdfmx -vv *.xdv 2> xdv.log
the log file reports:
    xdvipdfmx:warning: Embedding of font
"/groups/opt/share/fonts/Nikosh.ttf"
    disabled due to license restrictions
I just now checked, and xdvipdfmx doesn't complain about other fonts
that we're using with similar embeddability tags, e.g. SIL's
Scheherazade.

Why would xdvipdfmx think the Nikosh font is not embeddable, when it's
ok with the Scheherazade?  Is it looking at some other field?  I don't
think it's reading the entire license agreement :-).

I'm listing after my sig line all the lines in xdvipdfmx's log file that
seem to have to do with the Nikosh font, in case one of them gives a
clue.  xdvipdfmx reports version 20140317.

    Mike Maxwell

------------------log lines that mention Nikosh----------
> ][10<[/groups/opt/share/fonts/Nikosh.ttf]@12.30pt<NATIVE-FONTMAP:[/groups/opt/share/fonts/Nikosh.ttf]/H/65536/0/0>
fontmap: [/groups/opt/share/fonts/Nikosh.ttf]/H/65536/0/0 ->
/groups/opt/share/fonts/Nikosh.ttf(Identity-H)

pdf_font>> Input encoding "Identity-H" requires at least 2 bytes.
pdf_font>> The -m <00> option will be assumed for
"/groups/opt/share/fonts/Nikosh.ttf".

xdvipdfmx:warning: Embedding of font
"/groups/opt/share/fonts/Nikosh.ttf" disabled due to license
restrictions
(CID:Nikosh)
pdf_font>> Type0 font "/groups/opt/share/fonts/Nikosh.ttf"
cmap_id=<Identity-H,0> opened at
font_id=<[/groups/opt/share/fonts/Nikosh.ttf]/H/65536/0/0,4>.

> ][39][40][41][42][43][44][45][46<[/groups/opt/share/fonts/Nikosh.ttf]@10.36pt
fontmap: [/groups/opt/share/fonts/Nikosh.ttf]/H/65536/0/0 ->
/groups/opt/share/fonts/Nikosh.ttf(Identity-H)[map:<00>]

xdvipdfmx:warning: Embedding of font
"/groups/opt/share/fonts/Nikosh.ttf" disabled due to license
restrictions
(CID:Nikosh)
pdf_font>> Type0 font "/groups/opt/share/fonts/Nikosh.ttf"
cmap_id=<Identity-H,0> opened at
font_id=<[/groups/opt/share/fonts/Nikosh.ttf]/H/65536/0/0,9>.

otf_cmap>> Creating ToUnicode CMap for
"/groups/opt/share/fonts/Nikosh.ttf"...

(CID:/groups/opt/share/fonts/Nikosh.ttf[Nikosh][CIDFontType2])