[XeTeX] fontforge created characters in private use area

Erich Hoffmann erichhoffmann at gmx.de
Fri Oct 3 18:30:39 CEST 2014

Hello group.

I have a problem with fontforge generated characters that I googled
and send to different user groups, fontforge included and my local user
group, but I could not solve that.

   It is very strange.  I created characters in the unicode private use
area to use them with xelatex, exported to otf and ttf.  (Tried to
export them to _either_ otf and ttf as well.)

   Using gvim on a debian wheezy, I can use all of them.  With xelatex,
_some_ of them are displayed, others not.  I cannot make out why and
what I did to the ones that are recognized.

What can I do ?

Switch to metafont?

TIA, erich