[XeTeX] XeTeX/xdvipdfmx or the driver bug with eps images

Philip Taylor P.Taylor at Rhul.Ac.Uk
Wed May 28 16:04:38 CEST 2014

Vafa Karen-Pahlav wrote:

> I also have experienced some strange problems with recent versions of
> xetex; include an image in a document on Windows and the result is
> perfectly fine but you try to compile the same document on a different
> operating system, then images are placed strangely (i.e. the image width
> exceeds the textwidth and is placed on the right or left hand side).
> This issue is very annoying and existed for few years now. I try to send
> some minimal example for this later today.

Images are indeed apparently treated as second-class citizens by XeTeX,
and I have found that the most reliable way to embed them is to embed
them within an \hbox (or possibly a \vbox :  not convinced I have tried
the latter) and then use the resulting \box (or \copy) in lieu of the
\XeTeXpicfile itself.  \XeTeXpdffile does not seem to suffer from
similar problems and requires no prior embedding before deployment.

Philip Taylor