[XeTeX] new font question: is this possible?

François Patte francois.patte at mi.parisdescartes.fr
Thu Mar 13 19:09:28 CET 2014

Bonjour,

When writing a Sanskrit text, there are (at least) two ways: roman
transliteration, or devanagari.

In a transliterated text, there are much more blank spaces between
"words" than in a devanagari text. I would like to be able to have only
one file for a text and choose either transliteration or devanagari.

Is it possible to have some active character which separates "words" in
the file and this character will give a blank space, if I choose
tranliteration, and will give a null space if I choose devanagari, but a
null space which allows ligature if necessary.

For instance, in the file we have: tasmād_dhetor_bijasya and we get,
after compilation:

tasmād dhetor bījasya (in transliteration)

or

तस्माद्धेतोर्बीजस्य (in devanagari)

(I have chosen underscore as the active character, but it is not the
best idea...)

Thank you for any light!

--
François Patte