[XeTeX] stacking diacritics without mark-to-mark

Joshua and Amy josh.ruthamy at gmail.com
Wed Mar 12 19:47:49 CET 2014

I'm typesetting with XeLaTeX, using fontspec, and calling a font provided
to me by the publisher of a manuscript I'm working on. (Same as my previous
post!)

The language I work with has a letter O with circumflex and breve
(U+00F4,U+0306): ô̆. However, the publisher-provided font does not use
mark-to-mark positioning, so when I typeset in XeLaTeX, the combining breve
overlays the circumflex.

Back in January of 2013, there was discussion of this very issue, which
included talk of a potentially forthcoming solution where XeTeX would
handle this problem for us. Does anyone know whether there is now a
straightforward way of doing this? (By *straightforward* I mean, "easy for
a XeTeX dabbler." I know how to load a package, how to type, and how to
typeset inside TeXShop. I do not know how to program.)

Thanks, and best regards!

Josh Jensen