[XeTeX] FreeSerif fonts and devanagari ligatures

Steve White stevan.white at gmail.com
Mon Mar 10 19:49:57 CET 2014

Hi Françoise,

I'm aware of some serious problems.  The development builds of FreeFont
should resolve these.

If you would like, I can give you access to development builds;
we would be glad to hear your input.

What happened is this:

Before 2012 or so, the main font rendering system in Linux was
"Pango", which emulated
the Indic rules of Windows XP and before. The 2012 release of
FreeFont was tested and
working in this system.

But soon after, a new rendering system "Harfbuzz", which emulates the
very different
rules of Windows Vista/7, was introduced.  This unfortunately broke
all the Indic ranges in
FreeFont (as well as many other fonts).

We have put a lot of work into updating the fonts, but not all the
ranges are tested yet.
--and it may be a while yet, due partly to limitations on my own time.

Cheers!