[XeTeX] FakeBold vs TikZ

Wilfred van Rooijen wvanrooijen at yahoo.com
Mon Jun 16 04:17:03 CEST 2014

Hi all,

I can confirm this issue with

XeTeX, Version 3.1415926-2.5-0.9999.3 (TeX Live 2013)

on linux and both Evince and Acroread as PDF viewers. There definitely is a dot. I guess the issue is solved in TeXLive 2014.

By the way, if you add a an extra circle to be plotted, that extra circle does not have dot in it. The dot is not on (0,0). If you change the color of the node (\draw[red]), the dot remains black while the circle becomes red.

Cheers,
Wilfred

On Monday, June 16, 2014 7:06 AM, Herbert Schulz <herbs at wideopenwest.com> wrote:

>On Jun 15, 2014, at 3:16 PM, Marcin Woliński <wolinski at mimuw.edu.pl> wrote:
>
>> Dear XeTeX Gurus,
>>
>> Please shed some light on the following crazy
 example (there is
>> definitely a bug here but I have no idea which level is to blame).  This
>> is a minimal XeLaTeX example:
>>
>> ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
>> \documentclass{article}
>> \usepackage{fontspec}
>> \usepackage{tikz}
>>
>> \def\fb{\addfontfeature{FakeBold=1}}
>>
>> \setmainfont{Latin Modern Roman}
>>
>> \begin{document}
>>
>> \begin{tikzpicture}
>>  \draw (-1,-1) rectangle (3,3);
>>  \draw (0,0) circle (.2);
>>
>>  % try commenting out the following line:
>>  \node at (1,2) {\fb test1};
>>  % try commenting out the following line:
>>  \node at (1,1)  {test2};
>> \end{tikzpicture}
>>
>> \vspace{2cm}
>> \newsavebox{\testbox}
>> \sbox{\testbox}{\fb test3}
>>
>> \begin{tikzpicture}

 \draw (-1,-1) rectangle (3,3);
>>  \draw (0,0) circle (.2);
>>
>>  % try commenting out the following line:
>>  \node at (1,2) {\usebox{\testbox}};
>>  % try commenting out the following line:
>>  \node at (1,1)  {test2};
>> \end{tikzpicture}
>>
>> \end{document}
>> ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
>>
>> The rectangle and the circle are present only to show the coordinates.
>> In
 particular, the circle shows where the origin of the coordinate
>> system is located.
>>
>> Now we have two nodes, text in one of them has FakeBold applied.  Their
>> position is not really important.
>>
>> In the PDF I get from running XeLaTeX on this file a black dot shows up
>> near the center of the circle (I’ve tried this with XeTeX from Ubuntu
>> 12.04 (TeXlive 2009 with some updates?) and 14.04 (TeXlive 2013)).
>>
>> The dot disappears when FakeBold is not used or if any of the two nodes
>> is removed (also the second one, not containing
 bold!).  The amount of
>> FakeBold seems not to be important, provided it is non-zero.
>>
>> In the second tikzpicture the FakeBold text is typeset outside of the
>> picture, put in a box, and copied into the node.  Guess what: the black
>> dot shows up again.
>>

>> Any insight into this problem would be really appreciated.  Obviously, I
>> have spotted this in a real life situation.  I handle the problem by
>> changing coordinates within the pictures in such a way that the origin
>> falls off the page but that is a bit silly thing to
 do.