[XeTeX] CID-keyed font support?

Jiang Jiang gzjjgod at gmail.com
Sat Jul 19 22:33:15 CEST 2014

Hi Akira,

On Sat, Jul 19, 2014 at 5:22 PM, Akira Kakuto <kakuto at fuk.kindai.ac.jp> wrote:
> Dear Jiang Jiang,
>

>>> In the case of dvipdfmx, we usually write in a map file,
>>> cid-x.map for example, like
>>> gbm  UniSourceHanSansJP-UTF16-H  SourceHanSansJP-Regular.otf
>>> where gbm means a tfm:  gbm.tfm.
>

>> Yes, I understand that and had spent quite amount of time getting such
>> map file right, but I consider that approach less "XeTeX-like" as most
>> XeTeX documents / setup should just work out of the box without
>> tweaking in each TeX installation. The motivation for my initial patch
>> is to make such map files unnecessary.
>

> Yes, that is less XeTeX-like.
> In the case of XeTeX-xdvipdfmx, we cannot use the kind of map file
> for OpenType fonts. That is, we cannot load OpenType fonts through tfm
> fonts.

I updated the gist
(https://gist.github.com/jjgod/c1194a9b371848aaa746) again to fix the
following issues:

1. Non-CJK/CID font support.
2. dvipdfmx support.
3. Uploaded a third patch as an attempt to fix the Pan-CJK version of
Source Han Sans, I'm not entirely sure if this is the solution, but it
seems to help me get PDF generated correctly with that font. It's done
by avoiding to read the 65536 entry in CFF char strings, doing that
will trigger the "sent: Freetype failure" error you have seen.

Please give it a try and let me know if there are still issues.

- Jiang