[XeTeX] wrong r+vocalic r ligature in FreeSerif font

Zdenek Wagner zdenek.wagner at gmail.com
Sun Jul 6 18:37:23 CEST 2014

> I find the same error as Francois Patte,
>
> Source:
> \documentclass{article}
> \usepackage{polyglossia}
>
> \setmainfont
> [Script=Devanagari,
> Mapping=RomDev,
> %Renderer=ICU
> ]
> {Nakula}
> %{Sanskrit 2003}
> %{FreeSerif}
>
> \begin{document}
> rṛ
> \end{document}
>
> The FreeSerif version gives
> This was using FreeSerif as distributed with TeXLive 2014, which are the
> 2012 versions.

FreeSerif from TL 2012 does not even work in TL 2013. Up to TL 2012 XeTeX
uses ICU, since TL 2013 uses HarfBuzz. It is necessary to use a newer
version.

> If I understand correctly, this was fixed in the font in 2013: see here
> <https://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/?39999>.  However, I deleted all versions
> of FreeFont on my disk.  Then I fetched the font sources ( svn co svn://
> svn.savannah.gnu.org/freefont/trunk/freefont ) and made them (make, with
> FontForge), and the result was not better.
>
> Incidentally, is there a repo somewhere with an up-to-date distro of the
> fonts?  It shouldn't be necessary to make them manually, surely?

Unfortunatelly not. Anyway, the latest revision contains bugs. I have to
summarize them and report them to Steve White (I have my test suite).

> And is savannah.gnu.org the True Home of the latest versions of these
> fonts?

Yes.

> Dominik
>

> On 4 July 2014 11:15, François Patte <francois.patte at mi.parisdescartes.fr>