[XeTeX] texlive and xetex

François Patte francois.patte at mi.parisdescartes.fr
Wed Jan 15 10:51:31 CET 2014

Le 14/01/2014 01:10, C. Scott Ananian a écrit :
> On Mon, Jan 6, 2014 at 11:09 AM, François Patte
> <francois.patte at mi.parisdescartes.fr> wrote:
>> texlive from linux distributions are often obsolete and they don't
>> provide the tlmgr tool that allows you to update texlive when you wish
>> and not when the distro packagers have time to do it!
>
> The latest debian and ubuntu contain texlive 2013.  You can't get
> newer than than unless you have a time machine.

Do not say as the truth what you see from *your* window! You are running
debian sid and what you say is true only for unstable version of debian.
Stable version offers only TL-2012 and you cannot recommand people to
install unstable version of their OS only to have TL-2013!

Moreover, you claim that apt-get update TL, that's partially true (see
other posts), but tlmgr does much more than this! For instance: you can
get info on specific latex packages... Have look to the tlmgr man  pages
for more features.

Another thing: tlmgr allows a "user mode" which allows a "simple" user
to manage their own texlive tree on their account; on a multi-user
system, not every user has an access to root and can run apt-get!

I know that for debian users, debian is a god, but only for them! Do not
talk rubbish!

--
François Patte
UFR de mathématiques et informatique