[XeTeX] texlive and xetex

Stefan Solbrig stefan.solbrig at ur.de
Tue Jan 14 19:32:40 CET 2014

Am 14.01.2014 um 18:47 schrieb <mskala at ansuz.sooke.bc.ca> <mskala at ansuz.sooke.bc.ca
 >:

> On Tue, 14 Jan 2014, C. Scott Ananian wrote:
>
>> On Tue, Jan 14, 2014 at 9:53 AM,  <mskala at ansuz.sooke.bc.ca> wrote:
>>> Does running tlmgr work to keep it updated?
>>
>> Running apt-get keeps it updated, and in some newer distros this is
>> automated.
>
> Okay.  What I was really wondering was whether that tracks the latest
> versions that would be available through tlmgr, or if there's a
> separate
> layer of packaging such that "current Debain" might not be as
> current as
> "current TeXLive."

with Debian (even current) you will typicall not as up-to-date as with
tlmgr.  Debian (and also other distros that use regular releases)
typically freeze all software packes when they do a new release. The
reasing behind this is that users expect to get the very same results
through the entire lifetime of the distribution when running a "latex
whatever".  This means you will only get security updates, but *no*
feature updates. This is different for distros that do so-called
"rolling releases", like Gentoo or Arch.  Running apt-get will *not*
get you the lastest stuff from CTAN. It will only update the packages
if there was a real bug.

-stefan