[XeTeX] Font Problem

Philip Candelas candelas at maths.ox.ac.uk
Fri Jan 10 13:21:13 CET 2014

I am running Mac OS X 10.9.1 and use TeXShop.

I have need of a proprietary font, FoundrySterling-Book, to be precise. I have loaded the font using Font Book but cannot use the font in Xelatex. The following test program works well if the sans serif font is Verdana, say, but not if it is FoundrySterling-Book.

\documentclass[11pt, a4paper]{article}
\usepackage{xltxtra}
\defaultfontfeatures{Mapping=tex-text} % To support LaTeX quoting style
\setromanfont{Times New Roman}
\setsansfont[Scale=MatchLowercase, Mapping=tex-text]{Verdana}

\begin{document}

This is text in Times New Roman.

{\sf and this is Verdana.}

\end{document}

The log reports “I can’t find FoundrySterling-Book” . Though the font clearly is recognised by Font Book. This is the information pane from Font Book:

FoundrySterling Book
FoundrySterling Book

	PostScript name	FoundrySterling-Book
	Full name	FoundrySterling-Book
	Family	FoundrySterling
	Style	Book
	Kind	PostScript Type1
	Language	Afrikaans, Albanian, Asu, Basque, Bemba, Bena, Chiga, Congo Swahili, Cornish, Danish, Dutch, English, Filipino, French, Galician, German, Gusii, Indonesian, Irish, Italian, Kabuverdianu, Kalenjin, Kinyarwanda, Luo, Luyia, Machame, Makhuwa-Meetto, Makonde, Malagasy, Malay, Manx, Morisyen, North Ndebele, Norwegian Bokmål, Norwegian Nynorsk, Nyankole, Oromo, Portuguese, Romansh, Rombo, Rundi, Rwa, Samburu, Sango, Sangu, Sena, Shambala, Shona, Soga, Somali, Spanish, Swahili, Swedish, Swiss German, Taita, Teso, Vunjo, Zulu
	Script	Latin
	Version	001.005
	Location	/Library/Fonts/FoundrySterling-Book.bmap
	Unique name	FoundrySterling-Book
	Trademark	©The digitally encoded machine readable outline data for producing the typefaces licensed to you is copyrighted (C), 2002 by The Foundry, London. All Rights Reserved.
	Enabled	Yes
	Duplicate	No
	Copy protected	No
	Glyph count	257