[XeTeX] Hyphenation around „ß“

Zdenek Wagner zdenek.wagner at gmail.com
Thu Jan 9 01:03:29 CET 2014

2014/1/8 Georg Pfeiffer <gp at praetor.de>:
> Am Mi 08 Jan 2014 17:02:25 schrieb Zdenek Wagner:
>> \showthe\catcode`\ß and \showthe\lccode`\ß
>
> The catcode of ß seems to be 11 in XeTeX and 13 in TeX, the lccode 223
> rsp. 227.

I forgot that you use inputenc to convert from UTF-8. In such a case ß
is not a character but a sequence of two characters the first of which
is active.

Apparently something strange is done inside babel, with babel in xetex
I get the same result as you. I tried the following file using
polyglossia:

\documentclass{article}
\usepackage{polyglossia}
\setdefaultlanguage{german}
\usepackage{xltxtra}
\begin{document}
\showhyphens{geißeln}
\showhyphens{wußte}
\showthe\lefthyphenmin
\showthe\righthyphenmin
\end{document}

The result is:

*********************** \showhyphens: ***********************

Underfull \hbox (badness 10000) detected at line 6
 \EU1/lmr/m/n/10 geißeln

Underfull \hbox (badness 10000) detected at line 7
 \EU1/lmr/m/n/10 wuß-te

At least it can hyphenate wußte but I cannot understand why geißeln is
not hyphenated. Both babel and polyglossia set \lefthyphenmin and
\righthyphenmin to 2, thus hyphenation is allowed.

--
Zdeněk Wagner
http://hroch486.icpf.cas.cz/wagner/