[XeTeX] texlive and xetex

Wilfred van Rooijen wvanrooijen at yahoo.com
Mon Jan 6 01:15:12 CET 2014

Hi,

> I just installed texlive basic and latex cjk to ubuntu 13.10 of my
> triple-boot xp osx lnx D430 with total hdd space 120Gb.

Trpl bt wth 1 hdd impress. abbrev. Cool. ;-))

> I wonder whether such installation of texlive includes all xetex or not
> 'cause I really interested in xetex.

I don't know what "texlive basic" means. I recommend to install TeXLive with the texlive installer, because it will install the "entire" TeXLive distribution and also several tools to maintain and update packages etc. To test your present installation, simply open a terminal and type "xetex" or "xelatex". If it says "no such file or directory" then you don't have xe(la)tex. If xetex is present, then I suspect that most of the basic packages will also be installed (the most important packages are fontspec and polyglossia).

> I also like to know how xetex use a particular ttf chinese font.

Any OTF/TTF font will work with xe(la)tex. Use the "fontspec" package to choose fonts for your document. The documentation of fontspec is included in TeXLive. If you have LibreOffice on your computer, then I expect that you also have at least one Chinese-capable font.

Cheers,
Wilfred