[XeTeX] Insert Smileys in XeLaTeX

Zdenek Wagner zdenek.wagner at gmail.com
Tue Dec 16 17:34:24 CET 2014

> Thank you Zdeněk Wagner and Simon Cozens for your immediate help. Very
> interesting suggestions you made. I never cared much about font
> questions before. I even did not know, where to look for them on my Mac ...
>
> Yes. It is the font Apple Color Emoji. But all tricks (but I dont know
> many) to make it render with this font and xelatex were not working.
> Also the suggested Symbola-font is not doing it.
>
> Is there an easy way, to map the codepoints with little icons? For
> example: UTF8 F0 9F 98 98 (U+1F618 (U+D83D U+DE18)) goes with this icon
> etc ...

There must be something wrong in your computer. I have installed
Symbola in my Fedora Linux and now I see all symbols even in your
mail. Are you sure that the font is properly installed? Do you have
eny error message?

I do not know Mac, I only know how to ask fontconfig in Linux whether
the font can be located. It returns quite a lot of information but the
very beginning is important:

$ fc-match -v Symbola
Pattern has 32 elts (size 48)
        family: "Symbola"(s)
        familylang: "en"(s)
        style: "Regular"(s)
        stylelang: "en"(s)
        fullname: "Symbola"(s)

The only change I made in your file is as follows:
\setmainfont[Ligatures=TeX]{Symbola}

The font does not contain characters for all languages, e. g.
Vietnamies, otherwise the document compiles without errors, see the
attached PDF. This means that you should use other font for texts.
Automatic switching may be achieved by the ucharclasses package.

Zdeněk Wagner
http://hroch486.icpf.cas.cz/wagner/
http://icebearsoft.euweb.cz