[XeTeX] missing fonts on xetex in newbie installation on Mavericks mac

Tim tim.at.ast at gmail.com
Wed Aug 13 10:04:43 CEST 2014

Hi,

I am a newbie to latex etc.  I want it to write docs with mixed arabic and english.  So I need unicode.

I downloaded the BasicTex package from :https://tug.org/mactex/morepackages.html.

It’s supposed to include xetex, which I gather the is the thing I need for Arabic text.

I went through the doc I was pointed to to familiarise myself
http://tug.org/texlive/doc/texlive-en/texlive-en.html
The first few commands worked successfully, like

	pdflatex sample2e.tex

but this did not:
	xetex opentype-info.tex

This is the error:
This is XeTeX, Version 3.14159265-2.6-0.99991 (TeX Live 2014) (preloaded format=xetex)
 restricted \write18 enabled.
entering extended mode

(/usr/local/texlive/2014basic/texmf-dist/tex/xetex/xetexfontinfo/opentype-info.
texkpathsea:make_tex: Invalid fontname `Latin Modern Roman/ICU', contains ' '

! Font \testfont="Latin Modern Roman/ICU" at 12.0pt not loadable: Metric (TFM)
file or installed font not found.
l.26 \font\testfont="\myfontname/ICU" at 12pt

? ^D
! Emergency stop.
l.26 \font\testfont="\myfontname/ICU" at 12pt

The instructions doc suggests that xetex may not be able to access system fonts and provides a solution.

"If you get an error message saying “Invalid fontname ‘Latin Modern Roman/ICU’…”, then you need to configure your system so that the fonts shipped with TEX Live can be found. See Section 3.4.4.”
To set up the TEX Live fonts for system-wide use (assuming you have suitable privileges), proceed as follows:

Copy the texlive-fontconfig.conf file to /etc/fonts/conf.d/09-texlive.conf.
Run fc-cache -fsv.

But the solution doesn’t make sense since my computer doesn’t have /etc/fonts and I’ve read elsewhere that macs don’t use this kind of system.

 I only downloaded the BasicTex package yesterday, so it should be up to date.

Can anyone help?

And a bonus question: how do I config xetex/latex to output files to a particular directory, instead of dumping them in my home directory’s top level?

Thanks!

--
Tim