[XeTeX] jpg image and text overlapping

Zdenek Wagner zdenek.wagner at gmail.com
Wed Aug 6 13:42:03 CEST 2014

> Acfording to the guy who once printed some posters for me you can always
> convert the jpeg to some non-lossy format (tif), do your changes and then
> save back to jpeg. Is that incorrect?

Not exactly. It is of course better than saving repeatedly to jpeg but
what was lost the first time cannot be recovered. It is better to use
always lossless compression and use the lossy compression only as the
final step if you know you will no longer edit the image. Moreover,
TIFF means tagged image file format, it does not say which compression
is used. You have several options and one them is lossy jpeg. ou
should select LZW or ZIP. And of course, you can use gimp and store
the files as xcf.

> Den 4 aug 2014 23:54 skrev "Stefan Solbrig" <stefan.solbrig at ur.de>:
>
>>> OK, I can see that 'JFIF' in the tombe.jpg file.  But it turns out it's
>>> not in my file at all, only the 'Exif' header is there.  Our sysadmin guys
>>> haven't installed the suggested exiftool tool yet; presumably exiftool will
>>> be capable of *adding* the JFIF header (which I gather should come before
>>> the Exif header, although apparently both headers want to be first).
>>

>> You don't have to wait for sysadmins  ;-)  . Just get the tarball (the
>> home of exiftool seems to be http://www.sno.phy.queensu.ca/~phil/exiftool/)
>> and you can run the script from the tar directory. (Or by setting PATH and
>> PERL5LIB environment variables.)
>>
>>> Turns out GIMP will also save it with both the JFIF and Exif headers, and
>>> that works with XeTeX, and has a batch method.  So I guess I could use that.
>>

>> As it as already been pointed out, be careful that the jpegs are not
>> re-encoded. If not done very carefully, it will degrade the image quality.
>> (Re-encoding a lossy format will loose even more information.)
>>
>> best,
>> Stefan

Zdeněk Wagner
http://hroch486.icpf.cas.cz/wagner/