[XeTeX] jpg image and text overlapping

Stefan Solbrig stefan.solbrig at ur.de
Mon Aug 4 23:52:37 CEST 2014

> OK, I can see that 'JFIF' in the tombe.jpg file.  But it turns out
> it's not in my file at all, only the 'Exif' header is there.  Our
> sysadmin guys haven't installed the suggested exiftool tool yet;
> presumably exiftool will be capable of *adding* the JFIF header
> (which I gather should come before the Exif header, although
> apparently both headers want to be first).

You don't have to wait for sysadmins  ;-)  . Just get the tarball (the
home of exiftool seems to be http://www.sno.phy.queensu.ca/~phil/exiftool/)
    and you can run the script from the tar directory. (Or by setting
PATH and PERL5LIB environment variables.)

> Turns out GIMP will also save it with both the JFIF and Exif
> headers, and that works with XeTeX, and has a batch method.  So I
> guess I could use that.

As it as already been pointed out, be careful that the jpegs are not
re-encoded. If not done very carefully, it will degrade the image
quality. (Re-encoding a lossy format will loose even more information.)

best,
Stefan