[XeTeX] jpg image and text overlapping

maxwell maxwell at umiacs.umd.edu
Mon Aug 4 17:25:57 CEST 2014

Turns out we've also been bit by this problem... please see my questions
below.

On 2014-08-04 01:55, Heiko Oberdiek wrote:
> On 04.08.2014 01:27, Gildas Hamel wrote:
>
>> I append the jpg file (tombe.jpg).
>
> The resolution data in tombe.jpg are inconsistent:
> * JFIF header: 72 DPI
> * EXIF header: 300 DPI

What program did you use to determine this?  I'm looking at one of our
jpgs in a text editor, and while I see the string "Exif" near the top, I
don't see any jfif-like string.  GIMP reports 72x72 ppi, but I don't
know whether that's exif or jfif.

> Apparently XeTeX uses the EXIF header, whereas xdvipdfmx the JFIF
> header
> (or vice versa).

Is there a work-around?  Like using some image editor to produce a jpg
file with jfif and exif headers that agree on the resolution (and I
suppose have the correct one :-)), or maybe converting from jpg to some
other format?  I suppose I could create a PDF using pdflatex, and import
that into my xetex file instead of the original jpg.  But before I try
all these things, it would be nice to know if someone else has found a
work-around...

    Mike Maxwell