[XeTeX] jpg image and text overlapping

Elliott Roper elliott at yrl.co.uk
Mon Aug 4 02:48:31 CEST 2014

On 4 Aug 2014, at 00:48, Herbert Schulz <herbs at wideopenwest.com> wrote:

> On Aug 3, 2014, at 6:27 PM, Gildas Hamel <gweltaz at ucsc.edu> wrote:
>
>> % !TEX TS-program = xelatexmk
>> % !TEX encoding = UTF-8 Unicode
>>
>> \documentclass[12pt]{article}
>> \usepackage{fontspec}
>> \usepackage{lipsum}
>> \usepackage{graphicx}
>>
>> \begin{document}
>> \lipsum
>> \begin{figure}[h]
>>    \includegraphics[scale=0.25]{tombe.jpg}
>> \caption{Tombe}
>> \end{figure}
>> \end{document}
>>

> Howdy,
>
> Note: this compiles fine with pdflatex. It appears to either be a scaling problem involving xelatex and/or xdvpdfmx.
>
> Good Luck,
>
> Herb Schulz
> (herbs at wideopenwest dot com)

I can reproduce your overlap. I had something like this happen to me once. It was a corrupt jpg. So I pushed your tombe.jpg through GraphicConverter (Mac OS X) making it 1 pixel narrower and it now scales properly and does not overlap the text. I think I'm using pdflatex too.
(whatever comes out of the box with 2014 and Auctex))
I guess it would be interesting to discover why XeTeX thought it was corrupt, since GraphicConverter was fine with it.

Elliott Roper