[XeTeX] biblatex and xetex issue

Ulrike Fischer news3 at nililand.de
Wed Sep 25 12:51:47 CEST 2013

Am Wed, 25 Sep 2013 12:00:54 +0200 schrieb Joel GOMBIN:

> Ulrike, the problem is that if I use the "other" or "other*" option, then
> the hyphenation options for the whole reference are switched, which is not
> the desired output (see the quotation marks and the absence of spacing
> after "In" for example):

The hyphen-Option should only change the hyphenation rules and not
the typesetting. But you are right that there is a difference in the
way babel handles the various environments but imho it is the
pdflatex code which doesn't do it correctly:

\documentclass{article}
\usepackage{ifxetex}
\ifxetex
\usepackage{fontspec}
\else
\usepackage[utf8]{inputenc}
\usepackage[T1]{fontenc}
\fi
\usepackage[british,french]{babel}
\begin{document}
Some text?

otherlanguage* british: wrong space with xelatex (babel v3.8m,
miktex) but correct with babel 3.9f, no space with pdflatex/lualatex
(correct)

\begin{otherlanguage*}{british} some text?\end{otherlanguage*}

otherlanguage british: no space with all engines (correct)

\begin{otherlanguage}{british} some text?\end{otherlanguage}

hyphenrules british: space with xelatex (imho correct), no space
with pdflatex (wrong)

\begin{hyphenrules}{british} some text?\end{hyphenrules}

\end{document}

If you want to change the typesetting rules in your bibliography
entries you will have to use other or other*. Imho this will affect
the whole entry and not only the title. If you want a more specific
language change you will probably have to adapt the bibliography
drivers.

--
Ulrike Fischer
http://www.troubleshooting-tex.de/