[XeTeX] fontspec and languages

Khaled Hosny khaledhosny at eglug.org
Wed Sep 11 20:12:00 CEST 2013

On Wed, Sep 11, 2013 at 05:47:34PM +0200, Javier Bezos wrote:

> >Last time I heard from him on this, it was something in the lines of “I
> >wish I didn’t implement \addfontfeatures”, say I maintain my position
> >that people should avoid it whenever possible, it is just a hack.
>
> And the alternative is...?

Nothing. It is a feature that have to be implemented by the engine
(should be easy with some Lua hackery, not so much in XeTeX).
\addfontfeatures right now simply defines a new LaTeX font based on the
active one, and appends the new feature, which is neither efficient nor
robust (and works only with fontspec loaded fonts).

Regards,
Khaled