[XeTeX] fontspec and languages

Ulrike Fischer news3 at nililand.de
Wed Sep 11 17:01:58 CEST 2013

Am Wed, 11 Sep 2013 16:35:51 +0200 schrieb Javier Bezos:

>> and hope that the user
>> doesn't use a \defaultfontfeatures afterwards):

> An assumption I wouldn't want to do.

Well as Peter mentioned: \defaultfontfeatures is more for the
preamble, so that I don't think that is a large problem. (But users
can easily use \fontspec in the document, so using only
\addfontfeatures is not enough).

>> Javier is probably looking for general solutions that work in a
>> \selectlanguage command (he is the babel maintainer).
>
> Do you have a crystal ball? :-)

Sure, but I didn't need it to guess that this is your aim. ;-)

> Yes, this is exactly what I want
> (perhaps I had to make clear this point -- sorry). I've considered
> a new macro named, say, \babelfontfeatures to be used as a
> replacement of \defaultfonfeatures and based only this "public"
> macro.
>
> Another possibility is to redefine an internal macro -- namely,
> \fontspec_preparse_features:nN -- which works in my preliminary
> tests, but I think fontspec is not stable enough (in fact, this
> macro has been rewritten in full in a recent release).

Did you try to contact Will? The whole "add features to fonts" needs
imho a bit polishing (e.g. it has problems if you add contracting
options like Numbers=Lining and Numbers=OldStyle). And it would be
certainly better if you don't have to write some hacks but can use a
sane interface - hacks have a tendency to break at updates.

--
Ulrike Fischer
http://www.troubleshooting-tex.de/