[XeTeX] Bug or design flaw in Polyglossia 2012/04/29 v1.2.1

Peter Dyballa Peter_Dyballa at Web.DE
Sat Mar 30 23:33:01 CET 2013

Am 30.03.2013 um 22:59 schrieb Arthur Reutenauer:

>  Actually, it's even a little bit more complicated for the Latin
> script, which is considered the default script in Polyglossia, so in
> most cases there is no need to define \latinfont.

But isn't it much nicer when one can choose a particular shape for the Latin script? One that can match the size or width of the other script?

Anyway, I have a particular feature request… It's not clear whether Polyglossia should be made responsible for this, or XeTeX…

The story behind it

\fontname\font returns in XeTeX in the PDF file a text string, including the double-quotes, like for example:

	“Arial/OT:script=latn;language=DFLT;mapping=tex-text;letterspace=50;”

When I am in some non-Latin script, it's likely that a lot of open boxes can be output. When I think I am clever and choose to \latinfont{\fontname\font}, I get the font which is used for the Latin script, of course…

Well, at least these strings or texts are also written into the LOG file – but which TeX user reads them? Where is this LOG file at all?!

--
Greetings

  Pete

A monsoon is a French gentleman.