[XeTeX] Bug or design flaw in Polyglossia 2012/04/29 v1.2.1

Arthur Reutenauer arthur.reutenauer at normalesup.org
Sat Mar 30 22:59:27 CET 2013

On Sat, Mar 30, 2013 at 04:15:20PM -0500, Ian-Mathew Hornburg wrote:
> \latinfont will likely attempt to select a font set up for the actual
> Latin language, since that’s a language supported by polyglossia.

  No, it won't; as I said, Polyglossia's convention is to use script
names, not language names, as that makes much more sense for a
typesetting (sub)system.  Fonts defined as \<script>font will be
selected automatically when languages that use <script> are activated.
That can be tricky for languages such as Sanskrit, that can be written
using multiple scripts (in that particular case, Polyglossia demands that
there be a font defined for Devanagari, which is suboptimal, but such is
life).

  Actually, it's even a little bit more complicated for the Latin
script, which is considered the default script in Polyglossia, so in
most cases there is no need to define \latinfont.

	Arthur