[XeTeX] Bug or design flaw in Polyglossia 2012/04/29 v1.2.1

Khaled Hosny khaledhosny at eglug.org
Sat Mar 30 22:22:37 CET 2013

On Sat, Mar 30, 2013 at 03:57:37PM -0500, Ian-Mathew Hornburg wrote:
> 2013/3/30 Arthur Reutenauer <arthur.reutenauer at normalesup.org>:
> > On Sat, Mar 30, 2013 at 08:49:57PM +0100, Peter Dyballa wrote:
> >> When the missing characters are obviously Latin, why aren't they
> >> taken from a Latin script, from \englishfont for example?
>
> I use the Rachana font as well, and while the font contains Latin
> letters for A-Z/a-z (and only those; no more), it may be programmed in
> such a way that those glyphs aren’t accessible when passing the [mlym]
> script tag.

OpenType does not allow this, if the font has the character they will be
used (font developer may, say, map them to blank glyphs in feature with
mlym tag, though that makes no sense, but XeTeX wouldn’t still report
missing characters; as far as the engine is concerned the font has those
character).

Regards,
Khaled