[XeTeX] XeTeX 0.9999.0 released

Zdenek Wagner zdenek.wagner at gmail.com
Mon Mar 18 11:11:18 CET 2013

2013/3/16 Khaled Hosny <khaledhosny at eglug.org>:
> Hi,
>
> I can not really tell if this is a bug or a feature, bug HarfBuzz
> normalization is independent of input normalization to technically the
> input text is not normalised, but it makes little difference with the
> PDF output.
>
> If you still think this is an issue, please raise it again on HarfBuzz
> mailing list since your old message went unanswered.

I know nothing about Chinese but as I know, in Devanagari characters
with nukta as QA, ZA, FA (and a few others) exist as glyphs with their
own codepoints but can also be entered as KA, JA, PHA with combining
nukta. As I read somewhere, some fonts contain QA, ZA, FA, some fonts
do not. If JA + nukta is normalised to ZA but ZA does not exist in the
font, the character could not be rendered. NFD may be equally bad, if
ZA is decomposed to JA + nukta and the font does not contain nukta,
the character could not be rendered. So it may be an issue but I do
not know whether such problems may occur in nowadays' fonts. Similar
problem may occur even in latin scripts with combining diacritical
marks. The accented glyphs need not exists. Nowadays' fonts contain
all accented characters needed for languages as Czech, Slovak, Polish,
French but I do not know how widely Vietnamese is supported.

> Regards,
> Khaled
>
> On Fri, Mar 15, 2013 at 12:55:24PM +0900, Dohyun Kim wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> This new version seems to do unicode normalization (NFC) by default.  It
>> was not the case of previous version of xetex, as far as
>> \XeTeXinputnormalization=1 is not declared explicitly.
>>
>> The new feature (or bug) affects pre-modern Hangul texts typeset with some
>> fonts, eg. Malgun Gothic bundled with windows 8.  To work around, I have to
>> insert ZWJ or ZWNJ between initial consonant and vowel, which is not a
>> common practice in Korea.  Attached are sample tex file and pdf.
>>
>> Anyway, this issue is related to my posting avaliable at
>> http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/harfbuzz/2012-April/001896.html .
>> As I do not think it is a bug of harfbuzz or other library, I did not
>> respond any more.  I believe that font developers should cope with that
>> case, and there are some fonts that give us correct output even without ZWJ
>> or ZWNJ.
>>
>> Now with new xetex version, however, this new feature seems to conflict
>> with the primitive \XeTeXinputnormalization. So not just a feature but a
>> bug.
>>
>> Best,

>> > 10.8.2 here.

>> --