[XeTeX] XeTeX 0.9999.0 released

Dohyun Kim nomosnomos at gmail.com
Fri Mar 15 04:55:24 CET 2013

Hi,

This new version seems to do unicode normalization (NFC) by default.  It
was not the case of previous version of xetex, as far as
\XeTeXinputnormalization=1 is not declared explicitly.

The new feature (or bug) affects pre-modern Hangul texts typeset with some
fonts, eg. Malgun Gothic bundled with windows 8.  To work around, I have to
insert ZWJ or ZWNJ between initial consonant and vowel, which is not a
common practice in Korea.  Attached are sample tex file and pdf.

Anyway, this issue is related to my posting avaliable at
http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/harfbuzz/2012-April/001896.html .
As I do not think it is a bug of harfbuzz or other library, I did not
respond any more.  I believe that font developers should cope with that
case, and there are some fonts that give us correct output even without ZWJ
or ZWNJ.

Now with new xetex version, however, this new feature seems to conflict
with the primitive \XeTeXinputnormalization. So not just a feature but a
bug.

Best,