[XeTeX] XeTeX 0.9999.0 released
khaledhosny at eglug.org
Tue Mar 12 00:14:31 CET 2013
I have just uploaded a beta release of 0.9999.x series.
The archive can be downloaded from SourceForge page:
There have been quite some changes in this release, and testing is
highly appreciated, the more testing the better, but please note that
this is a beta release and should not be used in production
environments. There are no pre-built binaries right now, but they should
be available from TLContrib shortly.
Main changes in this release:
* Port OpenType layout from ICU LayoutEngine to HarfBuzz.
HarfBuzz is actively maintained and generally have much wider support for
OpenType spec, the switch fixes a number of OpenType bugs:
- Support version 2 OpenType Indic specs.
- Many other Indic OpenType bugs, and support for the latest additions to
- Incorrect application of contextual features.
- Incorrect kerning in fonts that has both old “kern” table and new GPOS
- Allow suppressing Latin ligatures with ZWNJ.
- Support for variation selectors.
- Support for user-specified features with complex scripts.
* Port Graphite layout to from SilGraphite to HarfBuzz and Graphite2. Which
provides a more robust Graphite support and also fixes a number of Graphite
* Port AAT font layout and font searching on Mac from the deprecated ATS/ATSUI
to Core Text, and image support on Mac from QuickTime to ImageIO framework.
XeTeX can be finally built on 64-bit Mac! Work contributed by Jiang Jiang.
* Add “/OT” font variant, similar to “/ICU” which is now deprecated.
* Add a “shaper” font option to specify HarfBuzz shapers (for testing).
* Guessed script from input string if no one is given in the font definition,
instead of defaulting to Latin.
* Support 4-letter tags for Graphite features.
* Use \U prefix for extended math primitives, allowing XeTeX and LuaTeX to use
the same names for Unicode math primitives supported by both engines. The old
\XeTeX* primitives have been deprecated and will be removed in the future.
* Support OpenType math cut ins.
* Fix “\show” and “\meaning” of “\Umathchar” to a print a form that is legal
* Fix italic correction to not depend on space factor being zero for OpenType
* Fix sporadic shifting of extensible accents.
* Fix typesetting XeTeX’s WEB code, in addition to various slight improvements.
* Prefer TrueType/OpenType over Type1 fonts with the same font name.
* Support input pipes, in line with other engines.
* Drop support for using “()” as font names quotes since it was causing file
names with parenthesis not to be found.
* Fix “\show” with characters outside BMP.
* Print the actual character instead of hex code for characters outside BMP
with “\show”, “\meaning”, “\showlists” and missing char log messages.
* Fix letterspacing if zero width glyphs.
* Try to get cap and x height from OS/2 table first.
* Reject bitmap only fonts.
* Include build date in “--version” output.
P.S. Since I never announced the 0.9998 release (TeX Live 2012), I'm
posting the changes here for reference.
XeTeX 0.9998 was released 20120708
* Fix mismatch between fonts loaded by XeTeX and xdvipdfmx when multiple
versions of the font exist.
* Fix “\the\textfont” with families > 15
* Extend “\fam” to accept family number up to 255.
* Fix build on Mac OS 10.7
* Fix displacement of big operator's limits when “DisplayOperatorMinHeight” is
higher than the size of the big operator.
* Fix too wide accents over accentees that has sub/superscript.
* Support extensible accents for “\overbrace” etc.
* Always take math constants from current font, fixes multiple math discrepancies.
* Honor relevant math constants when positioning sub/superscripts.
* Honor “AccentBaseHeight” when placing accents.
* Support “fixed” and “bottom” keywords in “\XeTeXmathaccent” for non growing
and bottom accents, respectively.
* Fix horizontal placement of of accents over single letters to honor their top
accent position value.
* Fix vertical placement of sub/superscripts of single letters to not be
treated as non-single letters.
* Support proper positioning of nested accents.
More information about the XeTeX